1 relative position in a graded series; "always a step behind"; "subtle gradations in color"; "keep in step with the fashions" [syn: step]
2 a degree of ablaut [syn: grade]
3 the act of arranging in grades [syn: graduation]
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- A sequence of gradual, successive stages; a systematic progression.
- A passing by small degrees from one tone or shade, as of color, to another. See Synonyms at nuance.
- The act of gradating or arranging in grades.
- In the context of "music": A gradual change within one parameter, or an overlapping of two blocks of sound.
- In the context of "phonetics": Apophony.
Gradation may refer to:
gradation in Swedish: Gradation
Indian file, ablaut, acoustic phonetics, array, articulation, articulatory phonetics, assortment, bank, betacism, buzz, categorization, catena, catenation, chain, chain reaction, chaining, change, concatenation, connection, consecution, continuity, continuum, course, culling, cycle, degree, descent, difference, distinction, divergence, drone, endless belt, endless round, file, filiation, gamut, grading, graduation, grouping, hierarchy, hum, line, lineage, modification, monotone, morphophonemics, mutation, nexus, nuance, orthoepy, pendulum, periodicity, phonetics, phonology, place, placement, plenum, powder train, progression, queue, range, rank, ranking, recurrence, reticulation, rhotacism, rotation, round, routine, row, run, scale, screening, selection, sequence, serial order, series, shade, shading, sifting, single file, sorting, sorting out, sound shift, spectrum, string, subordination, succession, swath, taxonomy, thread, tier, train, triage, umlaut, variation, windrow